Sunday, September 16, 2012

R.I.P. Vance Bockis (1962-2012)

About a week late on this, but now that I had a proper update I felt I could get away with a quick blurb here. From Blabbermouth:

According to WTOP, D.C. punk rocker Vance Bockis, member of local punk and metal bands THE OBSESSED, THE FACTORY, 9353, and PENTAGRAM, died Saturday at age 50.

Bockis, a popular fixture in the scene, had rotator cuff surgery Thursday and died at the Fairfax County home he shared with his wife Linda Leisz Bockis, apparently of a blood clot.

"Vance was clean and sober for almost six and a half years," Leisz Bockis told WTOP. "He was so thrilled with his life being sober," she added.

As mentioned above, Vance was an early vocalist for our legendary favorites The Obsessed from 1980-1982/83 (if it was until '83 it was evidently before the Metal Massacre Compilation track). He was also very briefly in Pentragram in 1977; this would put him at the tail-end of the Geof O'Keefe/Vincent McCalister era.

I am in possession of a handful of very early Obsessed demos. I was going to hold-off until the rest of the articles were done before adding "extras" to stuff, but in honor of Vance's passing, I'll go ahead and post this demo now. I can't tell you who's on drums, as I lack the tape themselves. Wino is still on guitar. You can really hear the punk influence on this batch with Vance at the helm.

 The Obsessed - 1980 Demo (Vance on Vocals):
http://www.mediafire.com/?11xru8q9evdx4ve 


Enjoy.

\m/

No comments:

Post a Comment